Accéder au contenu principal

C is for comfort zone

The comfort zone.
I can't pass a day without seeing a quote or meme or picture about getting out of the comfort zone. They say that all the magical things happen out of your comfort zone, that you'll only start living once you go out of that zone.

However I believe that if it was that bad, or without life or magic why would it be a “ comfort” zone? If getting out of it means compromising your comfort why would it be so celebrated?

I love my comfort, and staying in my room entertaining myself is my favorite pastime. However, once in a while I make the effort, to go out of my room and see the world and people.

In the past few months, I have taken various steps to try out new things, namely getting out of the so called “comfort zone”. On my second day in college, I decided to go to an international student meet up. I didn't know where we were supposed to meet from, or any of the people we were meeting with. It turned out to be one of the best evening during orientation, and as a plus: I got lost for the first time.

I took my first dance class- salsa. I almost cancelled my registration last minute, but it would have been my worst mistake in a long series of mistakes I have done so far- like unbraiding my hair after two weeks. The class is one of the highlight of my day, and it made me realize that maybe I'm not such a terrible dancer.

I registered for a training with e33, a student run organization that does lighting. I got my first job out of it. It's mesmerising, seeing all the lightsy stuff come to life. However it is also frightening, especially for someone afraid of heights. On my first shift, we had to build a scaffolding. I declined working on top, so I only handed the materials we needed up. This was until I had to help move a plank from the second to the third level, I felt like dying. Luckily I got back down alive, and I didn't drop the plank down. Despite all that, I really enjoyed my time working with e33 people, and I look forward to the other times I'll work with lights.

Some attempts to try out new things didn't turn out right though. Like the day I tried to go for the orange tours. I had dressed the part and arrived at the venue on time. However I passed by and kept walking, for it didn't feel right. It was midnight and I just kept walking taking in the views until 1:00 am in the morning.

There are multiple events I have registered that I don't know how they'll turn out. Sometimes I just click the submit button just so I don't get cold feet and give up. Other times, I change my direction right at the front of where stuff are happening. This is all part of learning, testing the waters. There are many things I wouldn't have learned if I had just done what felt comfortable and right. However, we have to admit that there is darkness, and failure and frightening demons outside the comfort zone. These are waters we need to navigate carefully so as to get out of it whole. 

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Blake 11: a psychiatric hospital review

This one is from a while ago, so some details will be a bit here and there. The first time I was hospitalized for my mental illness, which is also the time I was diagnosed, I was at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). The story of how I got there is in another blogpost. It was the 28th February 2018. I was sent to MGH for a wellness check. I rode with the MIT EMT. They did my labs and all my minerals and fluids were wack. I had spent almost two months without eating and drinking little water. Even though I got there around 10pm I wasn’t seen by a doctor until 2am.  That was because they were trying to give me fluids so that my levels would get close to normal. They also gave me food. A fruit bar and tuna sandwich.  When I met with the doctor, I broke into tears as one does. I told him the analogy of the tree falling in the forest but life/ death edition. We talked about lots of stuff. At the end of our discussion he told me I have bipolar disorder. I didn’t kn...

A letter to ggast class of 2017

Dear Gashora Girls Academy class of 2017, As I write this, I am in the MIT orientation. Last year at this exact time I was at home, sick. Less than a week earlier, I had a mental breakdown. The next day I was given permission to go home, and this marked the first of many trips I took home that term. I might have had a slightly different experience in the last term, but I believe I can give you some words of wisdom. Senior six (grade 12) was a frightening year for me. I was not a proactive person, and I liked​ to keep things to myself. Selling myself to a college seemed so hard for me. I had to talk to Mr John, our University counselor, do research, standardized tests, and all those things. I didn't know where to start. I was simply confused, so I stopped everything. I started the year with a 31 score in ACT practice, however, it went downhill from there. When I'm overwhelmed with multiple thing to do, I tend to freeze and not do anything at all. So I stopped ACT pract...

À Dieu

Almost a year ago, I started this blog. My first blog, learn from your friend's mistakes, was written after a particularly traumatizing night. I experienced extreme pain in the night of the twenty fifth of August last year. During that night, I realised I had been overworking myself for naught. College did matter, National exams did matter; however my life mattered more. I had no valid reason to neglect my mental and physical well-being. I wanted the whole world to know, most especially my peers, that all these things we sweat for are just vanity and chasing after the wind. I chased after the wind too. I studied too hard and forgot life was not just about academics. It was also about sitting next to my best friends and cracking jokes. It meant going to ask for food in the break time and enjoying that exquisiteness. Life is all about creating memories, making lasting bonds. That is something I learned a little late, but not too late. A few months prior, I had distanced myself from...