Accéder au contenu principal

We are Africa


I can show you a circular rainbow at the Victoria falls,
The copper belt houses the largest open mines
I not only have minerals, but glorious flora- the largest mushroom in the world.

I am Zambia


I am the home of Africa's highs and lows.
The tall and might mount Kilimanjaro and the deep and dark lake Tanganyika
Two parts of a united whole, I house the most hospitable people.

I am Tanzania


I am the land of a thousand hills
The green and beautiful scenery, Home to a unified people
Like a phoenix it rose from the ashes, replaced darkness with light

I am Rwanda


I am one of the few lands that kept its sovereignty against all  odds.
The stress relieving beverage, Coffee, was born in my highlands
Home to the oldest human fossil, I am the cradle of humanity

I am Ethiopia


I am the land that links up the two sources of life into more life
The White and the Blue Nile
Home to the oldest pyramids, I boast great history and an even greater culture

I am Sudan


I am the most populous of Africa
The richest, proudest and most optimistic people call me home
I have even topped the film industry thanks to Nolly wood,

I am Nigeria

WE ARE AFRICA

PS: This is a poem I wrote with the help of the African Students at MIT class of 2021. It was part of a multi-layered performance during the MIT African Student Association cultural night that was held in November last year.
 

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Blake 11: a psychiatric hospital review

This one is from a while ago, so some details will be a bit here and there. The first time I was hospitalized for my mental illness, which is also the time I was diagnosed, I was at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). The story of how I got there is in another blogpost. It was the 28th February 2018. I was sent to MGH for a wellness check. I rode with the MIT EMT. They did my labs and all my minerals and fluids were wack. I had spent almost two months without eating and drinking little water. Even though I got there around 10pm I wasn’t seen by a doctor until 2am.  That was because they were trying to give me fluids so that my levels would get close to normal. They also gave me food. A fruit bar and tuna sandwich.  When I met with the doctor, I broke into tears as one does. I told him the analogy of the tree falling in the forest but life/ death edition. We talked about lots of stuff. At the end of our discussion he told me I have bipolar disorder. I didn’t kn...

A letter to ggast class of 2017

Dear Gashora Girls Academy class of 2017, As I write this, I am in the MIT orientation. Last year at this exact time I was at home, sick. Less than a week earlier, I had a mental breakdown. The next day I was given permission to go home, and this marked the first of many trips I took home that term. I might have had a slightly different experience in the last term, but I believe I can give you some words of wisdom. Senior six (grade 12) was a frightening year for me. I was not a proactive person, and I liked​ to keep things to myself. Selling myself to a college seemed so hard for me. I had to talk to Mr John, our University counselor, do research, standardized tests, and all those things. I didn't know where to start. I was simply confused, so I stopped everything. I started the year with a 31 score in ACT practice, however, it went downhill from there. When I'm overwhelmed with multiple thing to do, I tend to freeze and not do anything at all. So I stopped ACT pract...

À Dieu

Almost a year ago, I started this blog. My first blog, learn from your friend's mistakes, was written after a particularly traumatizing night. I experienced extreme pain in the night of the twenty fifth of August last year. During that night, I realised I had been overworking myself for naught. College did matter, National exams did matter; however my life mattered more. I had no valid reason to neglect my mental and physical well-being. I wanted the whole world to know, most especially my peers, that all these things we sweat for are just vanity and chasing after the wind. I chased after the wind too. I studied too hard and forgot life was not just about academics. It was also about sitting next to my best friends and cracking jokes. It meant going to ask for food in the break time and enjoying that exquisiteness. Life is all about creating memories, making lasting bonds. That is something I learned a little late, but not too late. A few months prior, I had distanced myself from...