Accéder au contenu principal

The Journey of my faith

I was baptized as a baby, on the first of January 2000. I can say that it was new millenia, century, year, month, week, day and me. There has been a lot of controversy around baptizing babies, as they don’t get a chance to decide whether or not they actually want to.

I was born and raised in the catholic church. I received all the primary sacraments- Baptism, Communion, Confession, and Confirmation. I never felt trapped into the faith, despite the flaws of the religion - I believe all religions do have some- I was attached to it. I used to joke that I was born and vaccinated with the catholic faith.

As I grew up, and experienced different stages of my growth, my faith fluctuated and sometimes it left me confused. The first three years of highschool were spent in a catholic school. Here, my faith was never challenged. However, it had no room to grow. I found myself doing things out of obligation and routine.

Things changed when I started Advanced level high school. The school was not affiliated with any religion, as a result we had a lot of leeway. At first, I went to mass regularly, and I even joined the choir for a while.

School happened in the las year of highschool, I was hosed and couldn't find time to go for choir rehearsals. Coupled with other stressors I was facing, my faith started deteriorating. This was during a period of awakening for everyone else. This made me feel uncomfortable and undeserving of God’s grace. Even though I knew all I needed was to come to God, it didn't feel right whenever I tried to.

After then, I have experienced such feelings twice. In addition to losing my faith then, I was also in a state of severe depression. Sometimes, I think my depression was due to the devil tempting me, and as a result, my faith as the flicker of light that gets me out of it. Moving forward, I want to learn how to influence, or even acknowledge these different phases so that I might be able to survive in this world.

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Blake 11: a psychiatric hospital review

This one is from a while ago, so some details will be a bit here and there. The first time I was hospitalized for my mental illness, which is also the time I was diagnosed, I was at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). The story of how I got there is in another blogpost. It was the 28th February 2018. I was sent to MGH for a wellness check. I rode with the MIT EMT. They did my labs and all my minerals and fluids were wack. I had spent almost two months without eating and drinking little water. Even though I got there around 10pm I wasn’t seen by a doctor until 2am.  That was because they were trying to give me fluids so that my levels would get close to normal. They also gave me food. A fruit bar and tuna sandwich.  When I met with the doctor, I broke into tears as one does. I told him the analogy of the tree falling in the forest but life/ death edition. We talked about lots of stuff. At the end of our discussion he told me I have bipolar disorder. I didn’t kn...

A letter to ggast class of 2017

Dear Gashora Girls Academy class of 2017, As I write this, I am in the MIT orientation. Last year at this exact time I was at home, sick. Less than a week earlier, I had a mental breakdown. The next day I was given permission to go home, and this marked the first of many trips I took home that term. I might have had a slightly different experience in the last term, but I believe I can give you some words of wisdom. Senior six (grade 12) was a frightening year for me. I was not a proactive person, and I liked​ to keep things to myself. Selling myself to a college seemed so hard for me. I had to talk to Mr John, our University counselor, do research, standardized tests, and all those things. I didn't know where to start. I was simply confused, so I stopped everything. I started the year with a 31 score in ACT practice, however, it went downhill from there. When I'm overwhelmed with multiple thing to do, I tend to freeze and not do anything at all. So I stopped ACT pract...

À Dieu

Almost a year ago, I started this blog. My first blog, learn from your friend's mistakes, was written after a particularly traumatizing night. I experienced extreme pain in the night of the twenty fifth of August last year. During that night, I realised I had been overworking myself for naught. College did matter, National exams did matter; however my life mattered more. I had no valid reason to neglect my mental and physical well-being. I wanted the whole world to know, most especially my peers, that all these things we sweat for are just vanity and chasing after the wind. I chased after the wind too. I studied too hard and forgot life was not just about academics. It was also about sitting next to my best friends and cracking jokes. It meant going to ask for food in the break time and enjoying that exquisiteness. Life is all about creating memories, making lasting bonds. That is something I learned a little late, but not too late. A few months prior, I had distanced myself from...