Accéder au contenu principal

Success

Success is defined as accomplishment of an aim or purpose. So successful people are those who accomplish what they aim for. What happens after we succeed we don’t tell. What happened before succeeding we don’t say.

There are a humongous number of self help books about how to be successful, this won’t be about it. This is about what it means to succeed, how it feels. what we do with it and what happens when we lose it.

For most of my life, I considered myself successful. I focused on what I knew I was good at and put in all my effort. What I was good at was academics. I was first in class most of the time, and I ended up being valedictorian in high school.

However focusing on what I was good at, I forgot there was more in life like having friends, doing fun things, indulging in guilty pleasures and more. So the moment I ended being the best academically I had nothing else to act as a buffer. I fell and fell hard.

This ain’t a pity story though, it’s all part of reflections. I wonder what made me so good in the past years and where it went. Maybe I was so used to cruising smoothly that when I met some stone on the way; I was thrown off course.

I wonder whether I got so comfortable in my success I forgot what it is like not to. I forgot that life can change like the flip of a switch. Once you’re up and then you’re down.

I am not a failure despite what I might think. Success does not make us who we are. Sometimes we do feel entitled to it. Sometimes we feel it defines who we are. And sometimes it leaves us so that we can figure out who we really are deep inside.

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Blake 11: a psychiatric hospital review

This one is from a while ago, so some details will be a bit here and there. The first time I was hospitalized for my mental illness, which is also the time I was diagnosed, I was at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). The story of how I got there is in another blogpost. It was the 28th February 2018. I was sent to MGH for a wellness check. I rode with the MIT EMT. They did my labs and all my minerals and fluids were wack. I had spent almost two months without eating and drinking little water. Even though I got there around 10pm I wasn’t seen by a doctor until 2am.  That was because they were trying to give me fluids so that my levels would get close to normal. They also gave me food. A fruit bar and tuna sandwich.  When I met with the doctor, I broke into tears as one does. I told him the analogy of the tree falling in the forest but life/ death edition. We talked about lots of stuff. At the end of our discussion he told me I have bipolar disorder. I didn’t kn...

A letter to ggast class of 2017

Dear Gashora Girls Academy class of 2017, As I write this, I am in the MIT orientation. Last year at this exact time I was at home, sick. Less than a week earlier, I had a mental breakdown. The next day I was given permission to go home, and this marked the first of many trips I took home that term. I might have had a slightly different experience in the last term, but I believe I can give you some words of wisdom. Senior six (grade 12) was a frightening year for me. I was not a proactive person, and I liked​ to keep things to myself. Selling myself to a college seemed so hard for me. I had to talk to Mr John, our University counselor, do research, standardized tests, and all those things. I didn't know where to start. I was simply confused, so I stopped everything. I started the year with a 31 score in ACT practice, however, it went downhill from there. When I'm overwhelmed with multiple thing to do, I tend to freeze and not do anything at all. So I stopped ACT pract...

À Dieu

Almost a year ago, I started this blog. My first blog, learn from your friend's mistakes, was written after a particularly traumatizing night. I experienced extreme pain in the night of the twenty fifth of August last year. During that night, I realised I had been overworking myself for naught. College did matter, National exams did matter; however my life mattered more. I had no valid reason to neglect my mental and physical well-being. I wanted the whole world to know, most especially my peers, that all these things we sweat for are just vanity and chasing after the wind. I chased after the wind too. I studied too hard and forgot life was not just about academics. It was also about sitting next to my best friends and cracking jokes. It meant going to ask for food in the break time and enjoying that exquisiteness. Life is all about creating memories, making lasting bonds. That is something I learned a little late, but not too late. A few months prior, I had distanced myself from...