Accéder au contenu principal

The 2020 list- Revisited

 The future scares me. The hardest thing for me is to plan for things long term. That has been a trigger for me and it’s something I was actively working in with my therapist close to the end of 2019. The last quarter of 2019 was relatively good for me. I did okay in class and had good support systems in place. In this spirit, I got optimistic about 2020. To be honest, 2020 was my best new year’s day  in a long time. I was staying with a friend and went places with her. This added onto the feeling of hope and I did something I don’t usually do- a list of things I hoped for in 2020. Looking back now, 2020 wasn’t what I expected it to be- just like everyone else. I am going to go through my list and reflect on how things really went. 


  1. No episode: This one didn’t work out. I got hospitalized at the beginning of March. However this time was different. I asked for it when I noticed I was spiraling. I wasn’t as worried about recovery as the other times in the past because this time I knew what went wrong and was actively working towards making things better. While at the hospital, I heard the news about MIT sending us all home due to COVID. My treatment switched around dealing with that change and the issues I had coming in were put on the backburner. It was a good stay though, the people were amazing. However, because I wasn’t doing so bad; I noticed things that were not going so well.


  1. Get an internship at an interesting place and make good money. I got a UROP instead. The professor was really great and the topic was interesting. The whole project was about the transgender exigency, but I worked specifically on when was the right time for children to transition. I also did make good money. 


  1. Pass classes and have a good GPA, 4.5 would be good. I did okay in classes. It helped that the spring was PE/NE, I NE’d a class. This fall went well too, I don't have all the grades but it looks good so far.


  1. Lose weight, go down to 160. Didn’t happen. I did maintain my weight though. Throughout the year, I tried multiple things including working with personal trainers and a nutritionist. I am still glad that I was able to maintain the weight I started with.


  1. Hair grows: I think this worked a bit. I have had locs on for four months now and it seems like the hair is growing.


  1. Keep friendships, make new ones. I don’t know. I did make new friends, then covid hit and communication died. I think some will be revived when I get back on campus


  1. Have a great living space. I moved to EC and had a great single room. Too bad I only lived there for a little over a month. I do enjoy being back at home sometimes


  1. Go home winter break+IAP:  thanks to the pandemic I also got the spring, summer and fall at home.


  1. Make professional relationships. The WGS department is relatively small, so I get to interact with the professors way more than I did in MechE.


  1. Have a life after school: didn’t work. The only other thing I do besides school is going to hospitals- not very fun.


  1. Travel to interesting places: I did go places at the beginning of the year that I had been wanting to go to for the longest time. I went to Northampton and to Wellesley, they both are kinda close to MIT  but it still counts for me.


  1. Learn doing hair or makeup. I got too lazy, I think I do okay with hair but makeup is still really overwhelming for me.


  1. Get a partner. HaHa!! I love that I said partner because I’ve been questioning lots of stuff.


Overall, I believe I did lots of work beyond the points mentioned above. I have grown a lot in terms of self awareness. I decided to let go of some values that had held me in negative cycles and also made changes I felt were good for me. I have gotten good at dealing with uncertainties- it is still hard though but not debilitating. I am not sure if I will make a list again, because if anything, this year taught me how precarious life is.  Despite all this, I am going to make more effort in trusting the process. 


Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Blake 11: a psychiatric hospital review

This one is from a while ago, so some details will be a bit here and there. The first time I was hospitalized for my mental illness, which is also the time I was diagnosed, I was at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). The story of how I got there is in another blogpost. It was the 28th February 2018. I was sent to MGH for a wellness check. I rode with the MIT EMT. They did my labs and all my minerals and fluids were wack. I had spent almost two months without eating and drinking little water. Even though I got there around 10pm I wasn’t seen by a doctor until 2am.  That was because they were trying to give me fluids so that my levels would get close to normal. They also gave me food. A fruit bar and tuna sandwich.  When I met with the doctor, I broke into tears as one does. I told him the analogy of the tree falling in the forest but life/ death edition. We talked about lots of stuff. At the end of our discussion he told me I have bipolar disorder. I didn’t kn...

A letter to ggast class of 2017

Dear Gashora Girls Academy class of 2017, As I write this, I am in the MIT orientation. Last year at this exact time I was at home, sick. Less than a week earlier, I had a mental breakdown. The next day I was given permission to go home, and this marked the first of many trips I took home that term. I might have had a slightly different experience in the last term, but I believe I can give you some words of wisdom. Senior six (grade 12) was a frightening year for me. I was not a proactive person, and I liked​ to keep things to myself. Selling myself to a college seemed so hard for me. I had to talk to Mr John, our University counselor, do research, standardized tests, and all those things. I didn't know where to start. I was simply confused, so I stopped everything. I started the year with a 31 score in ACT practice, however, it went downhill from there. When I'm overwhelmed with multiple thing to do, I tend to freeze and not do anything at all. So I stopped ACT pract...

À Dieu

Almost a year ago, I started this blog. My first blog, learn from your friend's mistakes, was written after a particularly traumatizing night. I experienced extreme pain in the night of the twenty fifth of August last year. During that night, I realised I had been overworking myself for naught. College did matter, National exams did matter; however my life mattered more. I had no valid reason to neglect my mental and physical well-being. I wanted the whole world to know, most especially my peers, that all these things we sweat for are just vanity and chasing after the wind. I chased after the wind too. I studied too hard and forgot life was not just about academics. It was also about sitting next to my best friends and cracking jokes. It meant going to ask for food in the break time and enjoying that exquisiteness. Life is all about creating memories, making lasting bonds. That is something I learned a little late, but not too late. A few months prior, I had distanced myself from...