Accéder au contenu principal

Ode to my Father

This is to celebrate the man of my life- my father. Just recently I started naming my blogs and social media uMwizerwa wa Ngoboka, Mwizerwa being my name that means trustworthy and Ngoboka my father’s name that loosely translates into “help me”

A friend of mine once asked me why I don’t write about my father or talk a lot about him- I was at a loss of words. I couldn’t explain to him the relationship I have with my father, no words can.

If I believed in role models, he would be mine- but I don’t- so he is just someone I admire and would love to grow up to be as successful as he is.

One of my childhood memories with my father was when he would pick me up and I almost touched the ceiling. I would freak out every time he did it, my fear of heights is from way back, but I loved it nevertheless.

My father is the reason why I love reading and writing. When I was a tender child of less than five years old, he brought home books for us to read. I didn’t know how to read and I would just watch images from said books.

In primary, my dad used to teach me some English. One day, in grade 2 we learned the verb “to be” and the teacher said one of the things wrong,so I corrected her because my dad had taught me how to conjugate it. I felt like a genius and was grateful for my dad teaching me.

My passion for education also comes from my dad. As a university professor, he is at the forefront of education. He is also willing to sacrifice a lot for it because he knows that it’s the biggest treasure. As a result, he gave us the best education even when it meant giving up most comfortable and luxurious things.

Contrary to other African parents, he never tells me that he was always the first of his class- he was most of the time. His friends and acquaintances are the ones who praise his intelligence. As a kid people always told me I would grow to be as intelligent as he is, and I hope I kept well his legacy.

I will end this saying something I don’t get the chance or courage to say as often as I want to.

Father, I love you very much.  

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Blake 11: a psychiatric hospital review

This one is from a while ago, so some details will be a bit here and there. The first time I was hospitalized for my mental illness, which is also the time I was diagnosed, I was at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). The story of how I got there is in another blogpost. It was the 28th February 2018. I was sent to MGH for a wellness check. I rode with the MIT EMT. They did my labs and all my minerals and fluids were wack. I had spent almost two months without eating and drinking little water. Even though I got there around 10pm I wasn’t seen by a doctor until 2am.  That was because they were trying to give me fluids so that my levels would get close to normal. They also gave me food. A fruit bar and tuna sandwich.  When I met with the doctor, I broke into tears as one does. I told him the analogy of the tree falling in the forest but life/ death edition. We talked about lots of stuff. At the end of our discussion he told me I have bipolar disorder. I didn’t kn...

A letter to ggast class of 2017

Dear Gashora Girls Academy class of 2017, As I write this, I am in the MIT orientation. Last year at this exact time I was at home, sick. Less than a week earlier, I had a mental breakdown. The next day I was given permission to go home, and this marked the first of many trips I took home that term. I might have had a slightly different experience in the last term, but I believe I can give you some words of wisdom. Senior six (grade 12) was a frightening year for me. I was not a proactive person, and I liked​ to keep things to myself. Selling myself to a college seemed so hard for me. I had to talk to Mr John, our University counselor, do research, standardized tests, and all those things. I didn't know where to start. I was simply confused, so I stopped everything. I started the year with a 31 score in ACT practice, however, it went downhill from there. When I'm overwhelmed with multiple thing to do, I tend to freeze and not do anything at all. So I stopped ACT pract...

À Dieu

Almost a year ago, I started this blog. My first blog, learn from your friend's mistakes, was written after a particularly traumatizing night. I experienced extreme pain in the night of the twenty fifth of August last year. During that night, I realised I had been overworking myself for naught. College did matter, National exams did matter; however my life mattered more. I had no valid reason to neglect my mental and physical well-being. I wanted the whole world to know, most especially my peers, that all these things we sweat for are just vanity and chasing after the wind. I chased after the wind too. I studied too hard and forgot life was not just about academics. It was also about sitting next to my best friends and cracking jokes. It meant going to ask for food in the break time and enjoying that exquisiteness. Life is all about creating memories, making lasting bonds. That is something I learned a little late, but not too late. A few months prior, I had distanced myself from...