Accéder au contenu principal

A letter to my mania

Dear mania,
Thank you. Thank you for letting me discover my true self. The first time I met you, you told me I could survive on two hours of sleep.
Two weeks passed, the most productive weeks I have ever had in my life. I wrote multiple college essays, finalized my agricultural project and worked on my academics.

I felt I had a superpower, you were my super power, until you were not. On a Thursday evening, my head let go. You and I had used it to its farthest limit and it just couldn’t go on any more.
You stayed despite that , and you taught me how to plan ahead, how to be proactive, how to be a leader.

The second time I met you, you helped me make the most lasting friendships. I met new people and actually loved them. I shared part of myself I wouldn’t normally share, as a result I got part of other people too.

I liked how you made me give back to the community. I mentored in two camps and had amazing trainees. I taught them how to appeal to colleges and how to be peacemakers and critical thinkers. To this day, I still hear from them about how much I helped them learn.

The third time I met you, I new who you were. I could at least try to see your touch in my actions. You made me find beauty in everything and everyone. I was reckless, and you applauded. I got drunk a number of times thanks to you, but I always knew when to stop; before it got too dangerous.

I love how you give me bursts of energy. You make me chase the sunrise to catch that perfect shot when the sun decides to show itself for the first time during the day. I started a YouTube channel, the first video I posted was about our first encounter.

Mania dear, I like you like the annoying naughty little cousin who never gets in trouble- because I always take the blame. I am the one who passes sleepless nights when insomnia holds me a hostage. I am the one who has random bursts of tears because we exhausted my mind. I am the one who never know whether it is me or you in charge.

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Blake 11: a psychiatric hospital review

This one is from a while ago, so some details will be a bit here and there. The first time I was hospitalized for my mental illness, which is also the time I was diagnosed, I was at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). The story of how I got there is in another blogpost. It was the 28th February 2018. I was sent to MGH for a wellness check. I rode with the MIT EMT. They did my labs and all my minerals and fluids were wack. I had spent almost two months without eating and drinking little water. Even though I got there around 10pm I wasn’t seen by a doctor until 2am.  That was because they were trying to give me fluids so that my levels would get close to normal. They also gave me food. A fruit bar and tuna sandwich.  When I met with the doctor, I broke into tears as one does. I told him the analogy of the tree falling in the forest but life/ death edition. We talked about lots of stuff. At the end of our discussion he told me I have bipolar disorder. I didn’t kn...

A letter to ggast class of 2017

Dear Gashora Girls Academy class of 2017, As I write this, I am in the MIT orientation. Last year at this exact time I was at home, sick. Less than a week earlier, I had a mental breakdown. The next day I was given permission to go home, and this marked the first of many trips I took home that term. I might have had a slightly different experience in the last term, but I believe I can give you some words of wisdom. Senior six (grade 12) was a frightening year for me. I was not a proactive person, and I liked​ to keep things to myself. Selling myself to a college seemed so hard for me. I had to talk to Mr John, our University counselor, do research, standardized tests, and all those things. I didn't know where to start. I was simply confused, so I stopped everything. I started the year with a 31 score in ACT practice, however, it went downhill from there. When I'm overwhelmed with multiple thing to do, I tend to freeze and not do anything at all. So I stopped ACT pract...

À Dieu

Almost a year ago, I started this blog. My first blog, learn from your friend's mistakes, was written after a particularly traumatizing night. I experienced extreme pain in the night of the twenty fifth of August last year. During that night, I realised I had been overworking myself for naught. College did matter, National exams did matter; however my life mattered more. I had no valid reason to neglect my mental and physical well-being. I wanted the whole world to know, most especially my peers, that all these things we sweat for are just vanity and chasing after the wind. I chased after the wind too. I studied too hard and forgot life was not just about academics. It was also about sitting next to my best friends and cracking jokes. It meant going to ask for food in the break time and enjoying that exquisiteness. Life is all about creating memories, making lasting bonds. That is something I learned a little late, but not too late. A few months prior, I had distanced myself from...